Skip to main content

The Clement Weaver - Daniel Howland Home - Built 1679

East Greenwich ~ Rhode Island

Home
Some History
Historical Documents
Isham's Restoration
Older Drawings
Recent Inside Photos
Recent Outside Pix
The 2001 Addition
Local Fauna
Site Map
Contact Us
Links
Some recent interior photos...
Fireplace built of hand-cut stone and ballast bricks.
 
Beehive oven within the museum room fireplace.
 
Original wide plank flooring throughout.
 
 
Former 1st floor bedroom we've used as a formal dining room.
 
Original wide-board wood paneling over the fireplace in the dining room.
 
Keeping Room's eight foot wide fireplace constructed from ballast brick and local stone.

 

Other side of keeping room

 

 

Hand hewn lintel over a 10' wide fireplace in the kitchen. This is the 'inside' of the stone-end chimney.
Kitchen fireplace with built-in storage to the right.

 

 

A typical, 20+ inch wide-pine floor board in the dining room. All the wide-boards

in the rear of the house (the "saltbox" portion added on c.1681) extend from

one end of the house to the other as single boards. They average almost 2 feet

wide by 40 feet long. Boards this large and straight can only be harvested from

the trunk of the tree. That tree would have been enormous. And likely several

hundred years old when cut.

Professionally-designed office in former carriage house, about 40' from the house.

 

Master bedroom fireplace with a single-board, raised panel 'over-mantle'.

Above the fireplace is a loft which we discovered while tearing down a

drop-tile ceiling.

 

Exposed collar beams along the master bedroom ceiling.

 

Another second floor bedroom showing hand-hewn roof rafters and collar beams.

Formerly used as a bedroom, the 'museum room' was likely the home's first kitchen.

 

Some of the original, ship-lapped, hand-planed wall planks in museum room.

 

Same room, showing one of two 'original' 17th century casement windows.

 

Original New England 'split staircase.' Six steps to the left and seven to the right.

Partially visible is one of the smoke closets at the top of the left stairs. The room we

use as the master bedroom (left) was part of the original (1679) house. The second

upstairs bedroom was, according to Isham, added on about a year later. Because of

the way the rooms 'landed' there are an unequal number of steps to each room.

 

 

Two second-floor smoke closets, on either side of the chimney.

 

This is a close-up of the mortar used within the home's fieldstone foundation. It was

made from crushed seashells and sand. The seashells were roasted to drive out all of their

moisture and when re-hydrated would harden into this primitive mortar-sand mix.

 

After more than three centuries, it's still very much intact. This ancient version of "concrete" was

nothing more than beach sand from down the road, mixed with crushed and roasted clam & oyster shells.